- General Enquiries
- History of Hoole Hall
- Newsletter Sign Up
- Useful Links
- DoubleTree by Hilton
History of Hoole Hall
Early documentation states that Hoole Hall was first occupied by John de Hoole, the Lord of Hoole. Further documentation suggests that Rev Sir William Bunbury purchased the hall in the 14th Century and the family owned it for the next 400 years.
During the English Civil War (1642-1647) the hall was burnt to the ground by parliamentarian troops as they advanced upon Chester. It then remained derelict until Rev John Baldwin purchased the property and rebuilt the house over 100 years later in 1757.
In 1793 the property was passed to Thomas Baldwin, a distinguished pioneer balloonist.
In the 19th Century, the mansion acquired a floating staircase and a spacious Conservatory, now grade II listed.
During this Century, the Hall saw many changes in residents and at some point during the 19th Century, one of them housed a family of monkeys in the Conservatory!!
The last family residing were the Holmes family who stayed until the British Army took over the property for Western Command in 1940. After the second world war the Hall was passed over to British Telecommunications for offices, which subsequently stood empty for many years.
The complete site was sold at auction on 30th June 1982 to Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries who after nearly 2 years were granted planning permission to turn the grand hall into a Hotel, Bar and Bistro.
Hoole Hall Hotel has now been re-branded as the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester and has 140 bedrooms with 7 Conference & Banqueting Suites plus a Grade II listed Conservatory, and a choice of two restaurants, the Brasserie & Lounge and the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill. The historical name of Hoole Hall has been retained within the Health Club and Spa which operates as theclubandspa at Hoole Hall.
The hotel beautifully combines both past and present offering a high standard of accommodation boasting contemporary styling and décor. The hotel
We are based on the outskirts of Chester city centre - allowing for easy access from all major rail and road networks.